Not only is enough sleep, but also good quality sleep, vital to your health and wellness. But due to stress, overwork and our busy lifestyles a lot of people don’t get enough good quality sleep that has and adverse effect on your body in the long run.
The wonderful thing is that research shows that regular massage therapy can assist with improving sleep by reducing cortisol (the stress hormone) and increasing endorphins, dopamine and serotonin (the good hormones).
This exhausting cycle of sleep deprivation can do more than just make you a little cranky. Lack of sleep can also impair your cognitive processes, make you more susceptible to heart problems and can contribute to depression. Those of us struggling to get some shut-eye and sleeping six hours or less a night have up to 50% more cortisol (the stress hormone) in our bodies than those who sleep blissfully for seven hours or more. Those raised cortisol levels are the bad guys. They lead to increased hunger, blood sugar highs, greater abdominal fat, tiredness and depression.
Enough of the bad news. The great news is that massage is a natural and healthy way to assist with sleep problems and it does this in a few different ways:
- You know the worries that plague your mind every night? While massage might not be able to make your bills disappear or your work meeting to miraculously get cancelled, it can help you relax and decrease anxiety.
- Massage promotes the release of serotonin, which is a hormone that is necessary for the production of melatonin, which is your body’s natural sleep-inducer. Serotonin is also a feel-good hormone, as are the other hormones released by massage; endorphins and dopamine.
- Muscle pain, especially back and neck pain, can contribute to bad quality sleep. Massage is specifically designed to help release muscle tension, spasms and aches.
- Does your restless leg plague your nights? Massage might help. While researchers are generally unsure as to why this is, massage seems to help curb your Restless Leg Syndrome.
- We only use 100% natural and organic essential oils in our massages and there are numerous health benefits associated with these oils. Oils such as Ylang-Ylang, Lavender and Rose Geranium and numerous others are perfect for relaxation and reducing anxiety.
So, there you have it. By taking the time to make regular massage part of your life, you help your body handle stress and decrease the symptoms associated with sleep problems.